Thursday, July 26, 2007

To Fast Readers Go the Spoils...

On Saturday, July 21st at 12:30 am, Rachel and I embarked on a great journey into center city. Our motive? To secure the final instalment of J.K. Rowling's epic Harry Potter series, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." Our destination? The Borders on the corner of Broad and Chestnut. Yes, people dressed up. Yes, people discussed who R.A.B. was. Yes people surmised "who was gerna get kilt" and why. We're nerds. Deal with it. After the jump, photo proof of Potter dedication, of being inside Borders LOOOONG after it should have been closed, and of Pottermania forcing fans to sit outside the store and read it immediately.



Rachel reserved two copies of the book so that we could each read simultaneously. It was a stroke of genius, due to the fact I barely could contain myself after the last book launch. I had bought a copy of the previous book, "Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince", at Super Fresh where I was receiving manager. As a sign of my love and affection, I let her read it first. She takes her time... and I nearly died.


I started re-reading "The Half Blood Prince" on Tuesday the 17th. I completed it on Saturday night, around 8 o'clock. Rach had started it that morning and her collective "ooohs" and "aaaahs" made me hit the gas pedal on my own literary journey. I couldn't believe how much I had forgotten since reading it the first time and it made the last book much more enjoyable. At 10pm on Saturday, I started Deathly Hallows. I finished it on Monday, late... having read 283 pages in one night alone. I was worried that someone would ruin it for me, maybe by accident... maybe on purpose. The very next day, someone mentioned a significant death from the book to me. And I scoffed... I scoffed at her and at her niece for blabbering. For I had known! I'm also quite suprised at how quiet everyone is being about the book. No major spoilers. No plot reveals on blog websites. Some might say its luck. I say... magic.

The book was great. I was not extremely ga-ga about its climax, but the "19 years later" conclusion made my day. Expect a full review somewhere down the line.

No comments: